The cause and effect essay format is often preferred by teachers to task their students and to define their writing skills which are built on establishing logical connections between various situations and the impact they have.
To understand the meaning of this essay type properly, one should know the definition of cause and effect and feel the difference of its name components. If you can answer what the reason of some event is, then it’s the cause, and if you can state what things these events resulted in, then it’s the effect. It is a widespread pattern when there exists a few or more results for one reason, and vice versa. The educational process often requires the check-up of students’ skill to write a college essay, such as argumentative essay, analytical essay, and especially cause and effect essay as it may say a lot about their capability to establish connections between a cause and its effect. Depending on how causes and effects are presented in the essay, there may be defined three types of it. A few or many causes may correspond to a single effect, a few effects may correspond to a single cause and, at last, all the causes and effects may be presented in a row, one by one, where every effect follows a cause immediately. In the third type, the order must be elaborated in such a way so that it displayed a logical course of events that led to a reasonable conclusion. So, how to start writing a cause and effect essay?
How to Write a Cause and Effect Essay Step By Step
As we’ve made it clear with the cause and effect meaning, the directions given further will get you acquainted with how to write a cause and effect essay step by step. The necessary condition for writing a good cause and effect paper is to study the subject well before getting into the process and to define the components that make up cause and effect. As you decide on the subject, make some records of the suitable material and create a sketch that will be revised later. Keep up with these recommendations:
- It will be easier to start working if you are in the picture of all the laid out demands such as word count, references, deadline etc. Take a separate paper to have these demands in one place and keep it nearby.
- Think of the aim of your essay. When we describe cause and effect, it must be noted that they may be covered unequally, depending on the task. In addition, this balance goes off of whether you are given a topic or have to make it up on your own.
- Come up with a topic. You may start with gathering up many different subjects that you’ll further choose your top five from and then make a decision on the one which suits the stated requirements the best.
You may achieve great results if you write the cause and effect argument based on your past, or about something that is similar to what you’ve faced with yourself. You may also focus on subjects which refer to some stark facts. You need to learn to arrange your material such a way so that it would meet the given directions.
- In case you’ve got some additional material to draw your research content from, then you have at least two benefits – there is already a frame for your essay that you only have to elaborate and complete, and these resources are able to build a clear picture of a subject.
- Sort out the potential references to select the most appropriate and credible ones. Depending on the urgency of your subject, choose the sources which correspond to the time of occurrence if possible.
- Whenever something about your work isn’t clear for you, reach your tutor. So that to not bother them every now and then, think of all the points you need to figure out in advance. You may as well consult other people who are into this field.
Cause and Effect Essay Structure
The cause and effect essay structure may be characterized as follows:
Having got everything you’ve collected concerning the topic, formulate the main idea – a thesis statement. It should be laid out in such a way so that it could be framed with your material, built on it and drawn from it. Remember that it can’t be composed in any other form except as an objection setting, that is, no citations, queries, dialogues etc. As for the length of a thesis statement, put it within one or a few cause and effect sentences. If you find it difficult to set up a good statement, rely on the proofs you’ve picked up to support it, as in their combination, they may claim it pretty clear. When you write cause and effect thesis statements, you should be precise and brief, and present the general message of your writing mentioning the reasons and the results.
When you compose the cause and effect essay outline, give a good thought to what you’re going to say in its middle part. Arrange the material which is set to constitute the body of your essay. There are many ways to do that, in particular: putting all the information sequentially, or according to its relevance to the topic, or breaking it in groups, etc. The optimum number of body paragraphs is three. You’ll have three major thoughts along with minor ones that will add in. Though, you are free to present above three thoughts and, consequently, paragraphs. Remember that at this stage it is only a sketch which may be enlarged or shortened in the further process. 5 paragraph essay is not the obligatory requirement to follow.
As the first few sentences which make up a cause and effect essay introduction usually define how interesting and intriguing the whole writing will be, you have to think of them carefully. In this part, include something multipurpose which may appeal to a reader irrespective of their views, beliefs, and fields of interest. Moreover, the first cause and effect paragraph tells a reader about the aim of your work. Its last part is your thesis statement. Choose the expressive means whichever suits you the best that will attract attention from the first lines whether it will be some kind of reference, or a quotation, or a dialog.
A cause and effect essay format presupposes the following structure of the middle part: it is the heart of an essay, so it has to present all the proofs, details, illustrations and nuances so that all of them fulfilled one aim – established the clear association between cause and effect and reflected the gradual transition of one to the other by means of demonstrating, causal analysis and giving reasons.
See for yourself whether all the cause and effect situations you describe are depicted consistently and that their order can be observed clearly. Your event structure should be linear, that is, one thing comes after another just like they happened in real life: the event – the result and so on, so that a reader wasn’t puzzled because of how complicated you’ve built the course and didn’t lose the connection between cause and effect.
Take care of the credibility of your writing and make certain that you’ve provided the most significant support of this or that idea with the wide range of possible options. You mustn’t underestimate the other resources a reader may refer to, but your task is to show them that there’s no need in searching for additional proofs.
A conclusion is all about the brief overview of everything you’ve managed to gain insight on within the framework of your topic. Except this, you may add presumptions concerning possible reshaping of some of the introduced causes and effects depending on the new circumstances.
The Post-Writing Procedure
- When you are finally done with creating your cause and effect short story, it is time to give it to a closer check-up. It would be great if you could put it aside at all for some 24 hours. But if you are running out of time and need to finish the work much faster, leave your essay untouched for an available amount of time anyway and switch to any other activity except this one to analyze it better later. That is why, while writing, don’t distract so that to save more time for after-writing procedures.
- Get assistance from someone you trust and ask them to examine your written piece to see if it needs some corrections or changes to be made. This person is able to see your work as a reader.
- After that, you may examine your essay on your own. Get focused and keep your thoughts together as you study the writing carefully. Take into account all the elements and levels of writing to be sure every component got investigated.
- Take care of proper linking of your text to ensure its obvious congruity. Refresh your list of linking words to make the essay coherent and full. If it helps, look through the examples of cause and effect in literature or examine some cause and effect article.